The Atkins diet is a low-carb diet which is recommended for weight loss. People who introduced this diet claim that you can lose weight while eating as much protein and fat you want and you have to avoid only food high in carbs. So what do you eat on the Atkins diet? Here is a simple week plan of the Atkins diet and foods to avoid or foods to eat in the Atkins diet.
Sample Atkins Menu for One Week
This is a sample menu in the Atkins diet for one week. It’s suitable for phase one but you should add more higher-carb vegetables and fruits as you move on to the other phases.
- Breakfast: Eggs fried in coconut oil or vegetables
- Lunch: lunch should contain chicken salad with olive oil and a handful of nuts.
- Dinner: Steak and veggies.
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Leftover chicken and vegetables from the night before.
- Dinner: cheeseburger which is bun less with vegetables and butter.
- Breakfast: Omelet with veggies and fried in butter.
- Lunch: salad with some olive oil.
- Dinner: Ground-beef stir fry, with vegetables
- Breakfast: Eggs fried in coconut oil and vegetables
- Lunch: Leftover dinner the night before.
- Dinner: Salmon with butter and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Your breakfast should consist of Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: lunch should be based on Chicken salad with olive oil and a handful of nuts.
- Dinner: Meatballs with vegetables as a dinner.
- Breakfast: Omelet with various vegetables which are fried in butter.
- Lunch: Leftover meal the night before.
- Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables in dinner
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Leftover pork chops from the night before.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken wings with some salsa and vegetables.
Foods to Avoid in the Atkins diet:
You should avoid the following foods in the Atkins diet
- Sugar: sugar contained Soft drinks, fruit juices, cakes, candy, ice cream, etc.
- Grains: All type of grains like Wheat, spelt, rye, barley, rice.
- Vegetable oils: All vegetable oils like Soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil and a few others.
- Tran’s fats: Tran’s fats are present in processed foods with the word “hydrogenated” on the ingredients list.
- Diet foods: These are usually very high in sugar.
- High-carb vegetables: Carrots, turnips, etc. should be avoided because these are high carb vegetables
- High-carb fruits: Bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes should also be avoided
- Starches: Potatoes, sweet potatoes for induction only.
- Legumes: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc. for induction only.
Foods to Eat:
You should base your diet with these foods.
- Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
- Fatty fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
- Eggs: omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs
- Low-carb vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and another vegetable should b included in the diet.
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Healthy fats: oils like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.
It’s very simple as long as you base your meals around a fatty protein source with vegetables or nuts and some healthy fats it will help to lose weight.
Drinks and Beverages allowed in the Atkins diet:
Here are some drinks that are acceptable
- Water: you can drink water according to your wish in the Atkins diet.
- Coffee: coffee is high in antioxidants and quite healthy.
- Green tea: which is a very healthy beverage.
- Alcohol: it is also fine in small amounts.
what can you eat on the Atkins diet phase 1
Also known as the Induction phase. This is the strictest phase of the diet. The goal of phase 1 is to increase your body’s ability to burn fat. And because you lose the most weight during this phase so it is designed to motivate you. But what can you eat on the Atkins diet phase 1?
You must avoid all Fruit, Bread, Grains, Starchy vegetables, Dairy products (except cheese and butter) and Alcohol. You eat only 20 grams of Net Carbs in phase 1 daily.
what can you eat on the Atkins diet phase 2
During phase 2, you add some whole food carbohydrates back to your diet. So what can you eat on the Atkins diet phase 2? You can eat these things
- Tomato juice
You can eat 25- 50 Net Carbs daily in your diet. Phase 2 lasts until you are 10 pounds less than your desired weight.
Phase 3 is Pre-maintenance phase. During phase 3, you continue to add a variety of carbohydrates to your diet, including:
- Starchy vegetables
- Whole grains
In this phase, you can eat 50 to 80 Net Carbs daily. Phase 3 lasts for at least a month after losing the desired weight
Its Lifetime maintenance phase .when you have your ideal weight, you continue to eat low-carbohydrate (80-100 Net Carbs per day) diet for life. And at this time you realize that what amount of carbohydrates you can add to your meal.